Intro


This blog is dedicated to open, interoperable manufacturing software and the coolest, latest and greatest things I see every day while conducting business under the banner of Inductive Automation.

Hello, my name is Steve Hechtman and I am president of Inductive Automation. During the span of one day there is more excitement, more discovery than I can possibly keep to myself. This blog is, therefore, my outlet. WARNING: This site is highly biased in favor of the most powerful, affordable manufacturing software in the world - Ignition by Inductive Automation!

SECS/GEM Driver now supports SECS-I

The newly released SECS/GEM driver for the semiconductor industry has been improved!  It now supports SECS-I (serial).  The first release only supported HSMS (Ethernet) messaging, but as it turns out, there is still a lot of legacy equipment out there and most of it only supports SECS-I communications.  You would think this to be a simple thing to implement but it wasn't that easy.  

TCP/IP has a lot of stuff built into it that gets leveraged for HSMS but when you get to SECS-I serial you lose that and you've got to build a lot of stuff from the ground up.  But that's been done now and the new SECS/GEM module can now be downloaded from our module marketplace.

We are in the process of adding simulator functionality to the SECS/GEM module as well, so that testing and development can be done in the absence of actual equipment and so that equipment definition files can be tested.  

The SECS/GEM module plugs right into the Ignition Gateway to provide seamless connectivity between tools, databases, GUI front-ends, ERP systems and more.



No comments: