Intro


This blog is dedicated to open, interoperable manufacturing software and the coolest, latest and greatest things I see every day while conducting business under the banner of Inductive Automation.

Hello, my name is Steve Hechtman and I am president of Inductive Automation. During the span of one day there is more excitement, more discovery than I can possibly keep to myself. This blog is, therefore, my outlet. WARNING: This site is highly biased in favor of the most powerful, affordable manufacturing software in the world - Ignition by Inductive Automation!

Integrator Anxiety

I love talking to our sales guys because it gives me a chance to download to them some controls integrator perspectives which I think (and hope) could be valuable to them. I want them to have a real appreciation for an integrator's world (and what a challenging world it is!). When I do this I usually have huge realizations myself.

This happened to me today when I realized that the limitations of new software or hardware are usually only discovered after you decide to use it for the first time. So here you are, you've discovered a cool new piece of technology but you're up against the learning curve and are racing against the customer's schedule. And it's only at this time that you discover what the software or hardware can't do, and you're jumping through hoops to make it work. Talk about stress! It's almost enough to make you not want to adopt anything new. But it's also fatal not to be on the lookout for a better way to do things – because if you don't bring it to the table, somebody else will. I've been there a thousand times myself.

So I let our sales staff know this is what integrators are up against. There is real risk and stress related to new adoptions. Sometimes it's horrible. But I also coach them to relate that Ignition addresses all these pain points. It was totally developed from an integrator's perspective. We've taken away as many limitations and surprises as possible. Occasionally an integrator will push our software to the limit and report it to us – but man! – we're all over it right then. I know what it's like to be in the field or in development and you've made the leap and tried something new, and only then discover crazy limitations. The feeling of panic starts spreading through you. I hate it and don't want anyone to have to experience it with our software.

Personally, the more I use our software the more I discover what it can do, rather than what it can't do. And that's the way it should be.

No comments: